Five mistakes people make in communication.
Communication is crucial for all of our relationships. Are you a good communicator?
People tend to make the following five mistakes most often.
1. You interrupt. Are you one of those people you who just cannot wait for your turn? This communication mistake is so common that people are not even aware of doing it. Wait until the other person finished his sentence or idea before you add to the conversation.
2. You do not listen. Do you really listen when someone else is talking? You are usually already thinking of your own addition or opinion and do not listen to the speaker. Focus your attention on what is said.
3. You invalidate. This means that you do not give empathy or understand what the other person is feeling. They ignore the feeling behind the words. You need to listen for feelings as well to be a good communicator. Put yourself in someone else’s shoes. Give them permission to feel the feeling.
4. You make assumptions. You tend to jump to conclusions and make assumptions about what the other person is talking. Try to make sure that you understand the message clearly.
5. Unclear messages. Do not send unclear messages to other people and then get upset if they misunderstand you. The clearer the message, the bigger the chance of good communication. Be specific and do not expect people to read your mind.
You can easily correct these few mistakes in your daily communication. Become aware of your habits and change them if they are contributing to your poor communication.